Statement of Faith
Cheney Baptist Church exists to encourage and enable people to develop authentic, Meaningful relationships with God and each other; to help them Mature in these relationships in order to equip them for effective Ministry in the church and life Mission in their world in order to Magnify our Great God.
Our Doctrinal Statement: The following is a brief summary of our beliefs. A more detailed Doctrinal Statement is available upon request.
1. The Bible: We believe the Bible is the verbally inspired Word of God. The Scriptures are inerrant, infallible, and God-breathed, and therefore are the final authority for faith and life. (2 Timothy 3:16-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21)
2. God: We believe in one Triune God, eternally existing in three persons-Father, Son, and Holy Spirit-each co-eternal in being, co-identical in nature, coequal in power and glory, and having the same attributes and perfections. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19;John 14:10, 26; 2 Cor. 13:14).
We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, became man, without ceasing to be God, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, in order that He might reveal God and redeem men. (Isa. 7:14; 9:6; Luke 1:35; John 1:1-2, 14; 2 Cor. 5:19-21; Gal. 4:4-5; Phil. 2:5-8) We believe that he accomplished our redemption through His death on the cross as a representative, vicarious, substitutionary sacrifice; and, that our justification is made sure by His literal, and physical resurrection from the dead. (Acts 2: 18-36; Rom. 3:24, 25; 1 Pet. 2:24; Eph. 1:7; 1 Peter 1:3-5) After His resurrection, he ascended to Heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God, where, as our High Priest, He fulfills the ministry of representative
intercessor, and advocate. (Acts 1:9-10; Rom. 8:34; Heb. 7:25; 9:24; 1 John 2:1-2) We believe that the Holy Spirit is the third person of the God-head who convicts the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He is the Supernatural Agent in regeneration, baptizing all believers into the body of Christ, indwelling and sealing them unto the day of redemption. (John 16:8-11; Rom. 8:9; 1 Cor. 12:12-14; 2 Cor. 3:6; Eph. 1:13-14) He is the Divine Teacher who assists believers to understand and apply the Scriptures. (John 16:13; Eph. 1:17-18; 5:18; 1 John 2:20, 27) He Spirit is sovereign in the bestowal of spiritual gifts to every believer in order for the Church to function as God designed. (Rom. 12:3-8; 1 Cor. 12:4-11,28; Eph. 4:7-12)
3. Satan: We believe that Satan is the author of sin, the cause of the fall of man; and the open and declared enemy of God and man. His rebellion in heaven resulted in the corruption of countless angels, who now serve him as demons and do his bidding. He currently has incredible authority and is called “the god of this world” (2 Cor. 4:4) because of this accumulated influence. He uses this influence to deceive mankind and tempt them to reject God and His word and ways. (1 Jn 2:15,16; 2 Cor. 11; Jms 1:12-16) He shall eventually be eternally punished in the Lake of Fire. (Job 1:6-7; Isa. 14:12-17; Mt. 4:2-11; 25:41; John 10:10; Rev. 20:10)
4. Sin: We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God. This enabled them to enjoy an authentic and fulfilling relationship with God and each other. Our original parents chose to elevate their own ambitions above that relationship and sin entered the human race, alienating them from the relationship God intended and created them for. Every human being has subsequently made the same choice and is thereby alienated from and accountable to God for their sin. Mankind is totally depraved and, of himself, utterly unable to remedy his lost condition. (Gen. 1:26-27; Rom. 3:22-23; 5:12; 6:23; Eph. 2:1-3; 4:17-19)
5. Salvation: We believe that salvation is the gift of God brought to man by grace and received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, who died in our place on Calvary to satisfy the justice of God by paying the price that sin demanded. (John 1:12;Eph. 1:7; 2:8-10; 1 Pet. 1:18-19; Matt. 12:31-32; 1 John 1:9) Immediately upon our decision to place our trust in Jesus Christ, we are adopted into God’s family and sealed with His Holy Spirit. (2 Cor. 1:22; Eph. 1:13; 4:30; Gal. 4:6; Ro. 8:15; Jn 3:3)
6. Baptism: We believe that scriptural baptism is commanded and is an encouragement to the believer and a witness to the world of the individual’s decision to become a Christian. As such, Baptism takes place after an individual’s salvation. We believe that Scripture clearly teaches baptism by immersion. (Romans 6:3-5; Acts 8:35-39)
7. The Church: We believe the local church has been commissioned by God to carry out His purposes in reaching the lost and maturing the saved. God’s plan for a Christian will always be fulfilled best when connected with the local church. (Acts 2:41-47; Eph. 4:1-16; Heb. 10:24,25)
8. The Eternal State: Since we are made in the image of God, we will never cease to exist. We believe in the eventual bodily resurrection and judgment of all men. Those who died after receiving Christ as their Savior will be resurrected and evaluated according to their obedience to God and His will and word.
Their rewards in heaven will be proportional to their obedience to God on earth. (Daniel 12:1-3; Matthew 25:14-30; 1 Cor. 3:9-15; 2 Cor. 5:10-21; 2 Tim. 4:6-8) Those who died without placing their faith in Jesus will also be resurrected and judged “according to their works” where they will give an account for every action, thought and word. (Mt. 12:36,37; 25:46; Jn 5:28, 29; 8:24; 11:25-26; Rev.20:5-6, 12-13)